1981 Colonial Street - Update Wisteria Lane

History of the studio, your favourite Universal movies, DVD releases, where they shot on the backlot etc.

1981 Colonial Street - Update Wisteria Lane

Postby universalstonecutter » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:45 pm

Tram Route:
One thing I miss about Colonial St. Now Wisteria Lane.
============= universalcitycharle Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:20 pm
... is that back around 1986 or so
you could go in the back of the homes of Leave it to Beaver and the rest of the houses on that side of the street.

==============
One joke i remember from the tour guide was "See studio guests dont feel bad if your house is messy, June cleaver had it worse..."!(reffering to the empty shell of the beaver cleaver house and storage equipment inside)

============== Tram Tour Map 1981

The Car - Dragnet TV Series - Crowell House - Pink Palace in "One Desire" (1955)
    Hardy Boys House - Ron's Barn "All That Heaven Allows" (1955)
    Deanna Durbin - Corner House - "Nice Girl" (1941) seen in opening sequence of the Movie:
    Nancy Drew - Deanna Durbin - "One Hundred Men and A Girl and "Three Smarts Girls"
    Harper Valley PTA - TV Series - Burbs (1989) - Morrison Home - River Lady(1948)
    Lucas Tanner - Delta House - Kellar House - "All My Sons" (1948) sound stage 12 set
    Marcus Welby House - Leave it to Beaver TV Series - Paramount House - "Desperate Hours" (1955)
    correction April 6, 2010 - Batchelor Father label removed
    House - Hubbart Home - "Another Part of the Forest "(1948) sound stage set
    Harvey House -Allison - Dowd - "So Goes My Love" sound stage 12 set
    Munster House - Maxim House -"So Goes My Love" sound stage 12 set
    Thrill of it all - All I Desire - Bedtime for Bonzo
    Colonial Mansion - Uncle Tom's Cabin

Information source verified ; Universal Studios Tour Guide Manual
    Art Department Blueprints - Universal Archive Collection

This Colonial Street layout was changed in the Summer of 1988 fro the movie "The Burbs" release in 1989

Bachelor Father House - Hubbart Home - "Another Part of the Forest "(1948) sound stage set
    Marcus Welby House - Leave it to Beaver TV Series - Paramount House - "Desperate Hours" (1955)
    Move to a location south of today's fall lake
Last edited by universalstonecutter on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
universalstonecutter

Postby frenchjr25 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:09 am

Other than the Paramount house were any of the other houses that were on Colonial Drive in 1981 moved to the back of the lot?

And what sets have since been demolished?

Since this is the first account of the new Colonial Drive having a history to compare then to now would be great.
Never give up, never surrender, and dare to be different!
frenchjr25

1981 to Summer 1988 Colonial Street

Postby universalstonecutter » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:25 am

frenchjr25 wrote:Other than the Paramount house were any of the other houses that were on Colonial Drive in 1981 moved to the back of the lot?

Hubbart Home - "Another Part of the Forest "(1948) sound stage set

And what sets have since been demolished?

Hubbart Home - "Another Part of the Forest "(1948) sound stage set

Since this is the first account of the new Colonial Drive having a history to compare then to now would be great.

============= 1981 to Summer 2008
    Colonial Street - TV Series
      The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo (1979 - 1980) old circle drive (1981) new circle drive
      Simon and Simon 1981-1989
      Voyagers (1982-1983)
      Knight Rider (1982-1986)
      Still the Beaver (1983) (TV movie)
      CBS - Still the Beaver/Leave It to Beaver - tv Series (1985-1989)
      - In 1989 series went to florida
      Airwolf (1984-1986)
      Murder She Wrote (1984-1996)
      Amazing Stories (1985-1987)
    Sliders - TV series 1995-2000

Bachelor Father House - Hubbart Home - "Another Part of the Forest "(1948) sound stage set and Marcus Welby - Beaver Cleaver - (TV movie 1983 and TV series 1985 until summer 1988)

Last edited by universalstonecutter on Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
universalstonecutter

Postby frenchjr25 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:01 pm

Thanx so much. For some reason I did not realize that the surviving houses are so freaking close to where the tour already takes people. How hard would it be to simply had that area? These are great sets that people would love to see. I know that kids would love to see the Beethoven sets and us older people (those of use between 30 and 100) would love to see the original Beaver house.
Never give up, never surrender, and dare to be different!
frenchjr25

ROCK HUDSON CIRCLE

Postby universalstonecutter » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:56 pm

Circle Drive 1981

ROCK HUDSON CIRCLE
    This quaint looking community makes a nice picture; It has been many different small town streets over the years. It can be a turn-of-the-century town covering the asphalt with dirt and using appropriate decoration including hitching posts, antique sign lettering, etc. Or, it can be a more upto-date community with parking meters, modern store fronts and picture cars. Recently, this area was completely covered with movie snow for an episode of "Amazing Stories", called "Santa' 85".

The mansion was built for "Uncle Tom's Cabin" in the 1920's and has been seen in many films since then. That's where Dorothy Malone lived in "Written on the Wind", and it was also the Sanitarium in "Harvey" with Jimmy Stewart. Those artificial bricks on the front can be quickly removed to change the appearance of the Mansion when necessary.
    [Source: studio tour guide manual script ]

Shool House - Store Fronts
    Constructed from sound stage stock units in 1950
    Church
    Portion of this set: Circle Drive construction notes:
    Kiss the Blood of My Hands - sound stage set
    stock units set #31 - Oct. 1948
    now used as a church, library, townhall etc.
    Completed Apr. 1950 set # 36

Summer 2004 : Colonial Mansion, Church and School House : sets removed
    Source: Images by Darkbeer Smug Collection
universalstonecutter

Return to Studio - History